Friday, November 7, 2008

SHIFTING into HIGH Gear!

My father has worked in manufacturing his entire life.. Ironically the majority of his employers manufactured products made from stainless steel. So his transition to his own "fabrication" shop has been by no mistake.

Given my fathers predisposition to stainless steel, and the stainless steel steering column I purchased for the Recycled 40 Ford woodie, I felt it only appropriate to make a shifter from the same material.

Having pilfered a piece of 3/4 stainless from Dads shop I set the tapering fixture on my lathe.. and went at it.

The result. A perfectly tapered stainless shifter handle, unlike any other in the world. For an additional touch of class I added a stainless knob that started its life as a drawer pull.


SHIFT!





the shifting mechanism.. was another "recycled" part.. as I had previously purchased a cable shifter from IDIDIT

with some minor modification. I now shift my auto trans.. via the column..

No comments: